Thursday, September 07, 2006

Smoked Butt

Don't worry, this isn't some sort of obscene post. In fact, I just had a question answered. A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with a few people... I think people from school, but I'm not definite. (I really don't know where else it would've been!) Anyways, I was talking about eating smoked butt when I was little. I just discovered that smoked butt is actually pork butt, but in truth, it has nothing to do with the butt at all. In fact, pork butt = pork shoulder.

Ick, no wonder I'm a vegetarian.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

HAHA, ask Aly about smoked butt.
For some reason, we always joked about her parents making it for dinner all the time (although, they didn't make it ALL the time...) just sounds funny, and gross... but probably just tastes like pork!

Anonymous said...

that is sooooo true. i got such crap about having been served smoked butt. and yes, my parents still eat it. it tastes just like ham, maybe a little more salty. it is sink wrapped in red plastic in the grocery store and yes, the techincal name is pork shoulder. i have no clue as to why the name pork shoulder didn't stick and someone thought the name "smoked butt" was more appropriate.

Gina said...

Yes... I KNEW Aly would post a comment.
Love the new look, Dria!

dria said...

Who would've thought smoked butt would be such an interesting topic? I do remember the chunk of meat in the red shrink wrap, too, Aly. Is this a Polish thing? Grandma used to make this.