Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Touching Story Today on Oprah


I was watching Oprah today when I was working afterschool. The episode was "Meet the World's Youngest Queen" who was the Queen of Jordan. They also highlighted the life of the President of Liberia, also a woman. During the story about Liberia, a nine year old little girl name Musu was introduced. She had lost an arm during the end of the war in the country. The story spoke about the lack of schools in the country. Needless to say, Musu's parents did all they can so she could go to a private school. They wanted to have as many opportunities as possible since she now had something else, a physical disability, working against her. The family only made a few dollars a month selling potatoes greens. The school cost US$75 a year.

Seventy-five dollars seems like such a small amount. It is a small amount. I feel so fortunate to have everything I do and I wish this girl and family the best. I would love to write out a check to cover the rest of her schooling. It seems like such an easy thing to do living in America.

If you want to see the whole story, check it out here.

No comments: