Saturday, November 22, 2008

did you know?

My school recently added blackle.com as a suggested search engine. After trying it out and getting frustrated with my search results (only after realizing I pressed the wrong button when starting my web search), I couldn't figure out why this site was so much better. It was an off-shoot of Google, so why didn't I just use Google. Well, come to find out, the treehugger in me would be quite pleased behind the idea of Blackle. Check it out...

“An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts.” Google, which has a white background and gets about “200 million queries a day” could reduce global energy use by 750 Megawatt-hours a year by simply changing the color of its homepage to black. (For more detailed calculations and assumptions check out the original post here.)
In response to this post a black version of Google emerged called Blackle.com. According to Blackle’s homepage at publication time, 4,408.917 Watt hours have been saved by. The site encourages users to “make a difference today [by] … Blackling "energy saving tips" or visit[ing] treehugger.com a great blog dedicated to environmental awareness.” Nice ideas. But how does the search measure up? Very well indeed. "

(after you figure out which option to select, duh.)

Source: Black Google Saves Energy, http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/black_google_sa.php

1 comment:

Gina said...

Wow... very interesting! I never would have imagined that. Now, my background is a darker green... do you think I'm saving any energy there??